The Journals of Sylvia Plath - Sylvia Plath, Ted Hughes, Frances McCullough

"The most terrifying realization is that so many millions in the world would like to be in my place."

I'm not sure that you can really rate someone journals. Isn't the entire point of them to write down your own thoughts? By rating something like that, it's like saying that their thoughts aren't as important as your own. It's someone's life.

On that note, I obviously rated this a 5. I can't say that I loved every aspect of this. But at the same time, I wish I would have grabbed the unabridged version instead so I could have read more. At the end of the day, it was insight into an author that I already respected because of her genius andher flaws.

The biggest plus for me reading this, was truly seeing how much of herself that she gave to her writings. It's one thing to know you are reading confessional poetry or a semi-autobiographical novel, but it is entirely something else to also see so much of that played out in her actual journals. It gave me an entirely new level of respect for what she did. I know that I could never be able to put myself out in the world like she did.