The Devil's Metal - Karina Halle 3.75 stars.

I'm still in a kind of...confused state of mind? I loved so many parts of this book. The Almost Famous (my fav movie) meets the devil vibes rocked me all the while freaking me out. I loved, loved, loved the music throughout the book. I could hear everything playing in my head vividly enough that I didn't even need to actually listen to the music.

"Those bands, you plan your life around them. You plan vacations around concert dates. You save babysitting money for records. You live for those days when Creem magazine arrives in your dusty mailbox and you frantically flip through it for any information on your favorites. The bands, the musicians that you love, they love you back. And when they quit, when they fall apart, when they die—they ruin that future you thought they’d always be a part of.”

This quote I think hit me this hardest in the book. Being born in the 80s, I came too late into the music game, with a vast majority of my favorite bands were already broken up or dead (drunken buffoon or not, I agree with Dawn, I love Jim Morrison). I may not have ever had the chance to plan my life around seeing their concerts, but I definitely feel the loss of knowing that I'll never get the plan my life around seeing them or getting the opportunity to hear new music by them again. You feel straight down to your soul...

Anyway, now that I've gotten out the groupie-esque band love, on to the rest of the book. I think that was my biggest problem with this book; it wasn't the book's fault, but I sometimes forgot that I was waiting for the other shoe to drop because I was too busy living the music in my head to remember that some seriously bad shit was going down with the band. Of course, the reminders of that slapped me in the face quite a few times though. The last few chapters were intense and insane and had me refusing to sleep until I finished the book even though it was almost 4 am. Why did I end up giving the book only 3.75 stars even despite the fact that I've done nothing but ramble on about how much I loved the book? Sage. I didn't get why Dawn decided that she loved him. She talked so much groupie-hate, but their interactions were tepid enough (with one glaring, neon exception) that her love for him kind of came off as groupie style love. Sage redeemed himself for me with his honesty at the end of the book though. It was good to see it rather than the insta-love norm.
But then again, that is what makes Karina Halle such a badass, she bucks the norm with her books and even her books that I don't tout up as being the best thing I have read in a long time (hello, EIT), they are still freaking awesome.