Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov, Craig Raine Having seen the movie long before I read the book, I thought I knew what I was getting myself into reading it. Boy, was I ever wrong about that. Nabokov was able to put me through so many emotions with this book that my brain hurt when it was over. Humbert is creepy. He's a child molester. But I felt his "love" for Lo, and that really bothered me. He claims to have essentially be stunted relationship-wise, by the early death of his childhood love, Annabel. He wanted to replace her as she was when he loved her. Even though he is now middle-aged. Insert Lo, the nymphet. He falls in "love" with her to the point where he marries her mother just to remain close to her. And when Charlotte dies, he essentially kidnaps her and forces her to have sex with him (yes, yes she "instigated" it, whatever she was 12) for years before she finally escapes. We go on to find out that Humbert wasn't her first and she was with another older man while she was with Humbert who helped her to escape him. Cue, the confused feelings here thanks to Nabokov here. Humbert took her childhood from her, he repeatedly molested and raped her claiming to love her and that she was a nymphet and it was essentially her fault. Nothing new about a child molester/rapist saying that. Then why did, at the end of it, when we find out that Lo is married at 17, with child and asks him for money, did I actually have a slight pang of feeling bad for disgusting Humbert at the devastation to the point of murder he felt when he found out that she didn't love him. I hated that pang. It didn't last long, but it was there. And that is what makes this book so amazing. The way that Nabokov wrote it, the words, the story, everything about it, made you think. It made you feel something, even when you really, really, really didn't want too. It didn't glorify child molesters to me, as some say it does. If anything, it made me despise them more, because they can honestly believe what Humbert did to justify their actions. It was horrible, but it was beautiful. It's what books were meant to be. To make you think, whether you want to or not.