I had surprisingly few 5 star reads this year. I'm not sure that if that's because my standards are getting a little crazy for 5 star reads the more I read or what. I tried to only include books that came out in 2013 also, but I threw in At Peace because I read it this year and even though it came out in 2011, I loved it enough that I've read it several times this year so I included it. So. My top books of this year.
1. Ashes to Ashes by Karina Halle. I've read the entire EIT series this year, but I only included the most recent one here. If you haven't read EIT, for whatever reason, you are missing out on something incredible. I can't really talk this series up enough. It has just the right amount of horror, suspense, and romance. Then you throw in Perry and Dex in with that, you hit the awesomeness jackpot. Dex is my favorite male character ever. I guess I have a thing for douchebags with rapist mustaches and awesome taste in music. Perry and I apparently share taste in guys.
2. Rock and Roll Never Forgets by Barbara Stewart. This was such a ridiculously poignant love story of Bethy and Andy, that it just about killed me from dehydration due to crying. I still haven't been able to read the rest of the books in the series. I started crying during the first chapter of the second book. I was a mess.
3. Thief by Tarryn Fisher. The ending of Caleb and Olivia's story. This series was definitely full of questionable, hot messes of characters, but it was still amazing. It was a great ending to an already great series. It was maybe not as wonderful as I hoped it would be, but it was a fitting end.
4. At Peace by Kristen Ashley. Joe and Vi's book is my favorite of all of KA's books. I can't really pinpoint any specific reason as to why this is, other than Joe and Vi. I loved them apart and together. Joe maybe wasn't the best guy in the world to start out, but if you've ever read anything by KA, that's to bed expected. It's more the journey than the beginning. I don't think anyone will ever unseat Joe as my number one KA alpha.
5. Arsen by Mia Asher. This book is not the best book in the world. Cathy is actually a pretty shitty person. I can't begin to profess my love for Ben either. So, it says something for me when I was completely and utterly enthralled with their and Arsen's story. I'm currently doing my best to convince the author that she actually does want to write an Arsen spin-off.
6. This Girl by Colleen Hoover. This is another final book within a trilogy. And the only one from the alternate male POV (that has seemed to take over the genre) that I've actually liked. It was a slight continuation of Will and Lake's story, but more so Will's version of the happenings in Slammed and Point of Retreat. I loved his views as much as Lake's, if not more. I honestly could just skip the first two and just have read this and would be content.
7. World After by Susan Ee. There was what felt like an exceptionally long wait between this book and Angelfall. So much so that I started to doubt that this book was going to live up to the massive hype I was building up in my head after Angelfall. Luckily for me and the world in general World After was freaking amazing. And not just because of Pooky Bear. If I thought the hype after Angelfall was bad, I don't know how I am going to handle the wait for book 3.
So, there you go, even if having 7 is going to slowly drive me insane. I have a ridiculous of 4 star reads this year, but these are the ones that really went above and beyond for various reasons for me. I'm hoping 2014 brings even more.