Bound (Bound, #1) - Brenda Rothert

BLURB - College senior Kate Camden has learned to adapt - to her last year of school, to the promise of motherhood, to the fact that she’s doing it all alone. But just when she’s learned to adjust, heartache threatens to break her apart.

Pro hockey player Jason “Ryke” Ryker has it all: adoring fans, a promising career, and a beautiful wife. But when his seemingly perfect life is shaken by tragedy, he’s left questioning whether having it all is ever more than an illusion.

When circumstance brings Kate and Ryke together, they discover they don’t have to hurt alone. Bound by a grief that haunts them both, they must rely on one another to survive heartbreak. But that grief is more powerful than they realize, and the tie that binds them together may ultimately tear them apart.

Bound came as somewhat of a surprise to me because I really wasn't expecting too terribly much. I hadn't really seen too many recommendations for it, but I've read a couple of other books centered around hockey players recently, so I thought I would give it a shot. So, color me thrilled when I actually found it to be a compelling and emotional read. This book definitely started out with quite a bang, something I definitely wasn't prepared for. I knew to expect something bad, but I wasn't really expecting what actually happened (that's what I get for not going in prepared).

Death is our fucked up camaraderie.

So begins the story between Kate and Ryke. They meet during a group grief therapy session and this leads to Ryke offering Kate a job as his personal assistant as a way to get to know her better. Kate eventually agrees to the job offer and from there, the relationship between the two grows. I think my favorite aspect of this entire book is that it takes the span of the entire book for their relationship to progress. Yes, there is an instant attraction, but it takes a long time for both of them to come to terms with what is happening between them. Grief and guilt are major things and for a lot of people, not easy to overcome. A lot of times, I tend to get frustrated from the constant wavering of emotions, but in this situation it made it seem much more realistic.

My reasoning behind only giving this 3.5 stars was just a disconnect with the characters. The storyline was different (for me) and really intriguing, but I never really got there with the characters themselves. They felt..interchangeable. I could have been reading a book about anyone, not Kate and Ryke. I wanted to connect more with them, and not just their story line. That said, I will still definitely continue the series but I'm hoping that with this initial struggle with their grief over, I'll be able to connect more with just them.