Wicked as They Come - Delilah S. Dawson

“Time to beat back the bunny hordes," he said gallantly, knowing that any blood-hungry animals in the area would be waiting outside for me.

He threw open the door, shouting, "Bunnies, prepare to meet your doom!”

How could someone not like a book like this? It recognizes the evil of bunnies with their hoppy legs and twitchy little noses.  I wonder if their eyesight sucks since they don't eat carrots? (Yes, I've watched too much Buffy)

Anyway.

So, this was my first foray into the world of steampunk-ish books. I don't know if this world is typical of the genre or not, but I can't wait to find out. Wicked gave me a sort of Alice feel to Sang. The Bludmen, bludcreatures, pinkies, clockworks, caravan, etc all different and yet kind of the same as our world.  It made it easy for me to just fall into Sang and all of the crazy awesomeness.   It was a intriguing and fairly well written world.

As for the people, well that can be summed up with 2 words. Criminy Stain. The magical gypsy king/ringleader of a traveling carnival full of sideshows and other various "circus freaks", Criminy Stain.

"Why, Criminy Stain," I said. "You're a romantic."

"Oh, no," he said with a grin. "I'm fiendish and unscrupulous, a vicious killer and a thief and a bloodthirsty monster. And maybe a little romantic. But don't tell anyone, or my reputation's shot.”

Criminy was just a great character. He was cocky, sarcastic, hilarious, creeptastic, romantic, predatory, and described himself as being as wicked as they come....in a good way. I don't know many other characters who could dress in full Victorian gear, complete with a top hat and gloves and still inspire fear and panty dropping at the same time.  He made up for a lot of the shortcomings throughout the book. Particularly the shortcoming known as Letitia. She, like so many other heroines in books, was just frustrating for a good majority of the book.  She does eventually figure her shit out and become a more likable character though, you just have to power through her initial drama.  In her case, I can imagine it would be tough to be tossed into a new world, leaving behind a loved one. I like that the ending took that into consideration.

Overall, this book is a must read for anyone looking for something that's a bit odd, a bit quirky, and a lot of fun.

"You're here," he said simply.

"Do I know you?" I asked, which came out more haughtily than I had intended.

"You will," he answered, kicking off the tree and walking toward me. "After all, you're wearing my locket. And I've been waiting for you.”