Yep, definitely 17.

Almost Eighteen (Wilson Mooney #1) - Gretchen de la O

Abandoned by her mother at the vulnerable age of eight; only to be shipped off to a boarding school in Northern California by her grandparents, Wilson Mooney, is one girl who knows what it’s like to have to grow up way too fast. Now, a month away from turning eighteen and orphaned by the death of her grandparents; she knows exactly what she wants. All it takes is a spontaneous ski trip with her narcissistic roommate to Colorado, to make it a reality. When he happens to show up at a party in Aspen, Wilson becomes tangled in the powerful emotions of first love, sexual inexperience, and society’s principles. She lives a whirlwind weekend filled with newly discovered boundaries, calloused aches for a family she never had, and all the pressures of keeping their weekend together a secret.

The whole student/teacher affair genre really walks a fine line, more so than any forbidden love book (IMO).  For me, when I read one, I really need to know what is behind that relationship.  I need the background on why this is happening.  The background on the people involved, how they met, how this relationship evolved, etc. Maybe it's because I have older kids so I am looking at it in a more "parent oriented" viewpoint, rather than just as a reader.  So, when I come across a book like Almost Eighteen, that literally just leaped into a relationship, I am going to have problems with it regardless of the rest of the book.

Now that the disclaimer is out there, let's move on.

Eighteen starts with Wilson planning on going to Aspen with her frienemy/roommate.  We know that she's lusting after her teacher, Max, but that's as far as we get until we actually get to Aspen.  Once there, we find out that Max has also been in lust with Wilson the entire year too!  What luck!  So begins their "relationship".  From there we leap into a very YA description of their weekend together in Aspen.  That's it. Just their weekend together, with the slight added drama of hiding their relationship from said frienemy (but no one else, seriously worse hiding of a relationship ever) above.  It just was not enough of a story for me to get into it.  Do I think there is potential for the series as a whole?  Maybe, as long as we get something else from the characters and why they are risking their futures for each other. Well, why Max is risking his future anyway.  Will I read the rest of the series? Yes, but only because I already bought the last two books.  Maybe they will surprise me.