Meh.

Rumor Has It - Elisabeth Grace

All publicity is good publicity, right? Unless you’re recent college grad Ellie Wagner and an embarrassing video of you and your boyfriend goes viral. Every man in your life abandons you, but who knew a one-minute clip of your latest doomed relationship would brand you a slut, prevent you from getting your perfect job, and force you to keep doing the one thing you swore you’d never do again…live with your mother.

But staying with mom and her latest boy-toy (is this husband number four or five?) until your life turns around might not be all bad. Especially when you fall – literally – at the feet of a sexy, green-eyed stranger who offers you freedom and a life of luxury on a gold-rimmed platter.

There’s only one little problem – the man of your dreams is none other than Mason Nash, the latest hip-hop star busting up the music charts. Fame and fortune are his calling cards and he’s vying to steal the show on a new reality TV series that will catapult him into mainstream stardom. Hello spotlight.

The man behind the famous persona is perfect for Ellie in every way, but can she overcome the ugly pitfalls that come with Mason's celebrity status? Or will she be forced to choose between the man she loves and the independent life she longs for? After all, fame and fortune aren’t always what they seem and not all publicity is good publicity…

Rumor Has It
gives us another case of the cutes, but nothing amazing.  It started out well enough, with a funny lead character in Ellie and the stereotypical super hot guy in Mason.

"A slow easy smile crept across his face. He had a dimple. Seriously? That attractive and somehow the heavens figured he needed a dimple, too? For what? In case there was a girl alive who didn't wan to drop their paints for him upon contact?"

Mason, in addition to being a super hot guy with panty dropping dimples, is  a hip hop artist.  It's a small twist to the usual rock star romance book, but it didn't really do anything additional to the story itself.  Well, it made it more amusing for me, as I don't listen to a lot of that genre and giggled to myself every time he talked about spitting rhymes and the such. It sounds ridiculous to me. I'll be the first one to admit that I can be easily amused though. Anyway.

This book is cute and funny, but follows the typical style of the genre.  Rich stars meets and falls in love with the girl next door because she sees him for him, rather than the fame and what he can do for her.  Everything changes, of course, when he has to go back to his version of the real world with tours, paparazzi and money sucking leeches.. err managers and exes.  It's when Mason goes back on tour that the book changes from enjoyable and cute, to just being typical. Being typical isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when you are trying to break into the indie book world, especially when it is already saturated with a lot of similar books, you don't want to just be typical.

Overall, this was a good debut effort, but I hope to see a little more with the future books in the series.