Fire & Flood  - Victoria Scott

I've been sitting here for a while trying to wrap my brain around what I want to say with this review. It's frustrating when you are just ambivalent toward a book. I tend to live in extremes with my books, either mad love or hate.

Fire & Flood just wasn't that intriguing for 80% of the book. It's been done before. It's been done before a lot better. Yes, there are differences. Differences that should have made for an incredibly interesting story. The Pandoras, the story behind why the Brimstone Bleeds happens, the fact that these people are trying to save loved ones. It all had potential, it just wasn't reached early enough, or well enough, for me to care.

Surprisingly enough, the one thing that annoyed me the most about the book was also the one thing that I eventually came to like. Tella Holloway. She was your typical teenage girl, and she was hilariously annoying as shit. For a vast majority of the book, I could not believe what I was reading. How in the world can someone be thinking about mani-pedi's, blowouts and Nordstrom when you are in a race to save your brother? Why can't she be more of a badass? This is our heroine? Eventually though, she started to rub off on me and it made me think. I have a standing order to my husband to take me out if we are ever faced with a zombie apocalypse. My reasoning? I don't want to live without A/C, books or music. I'm high maintenance and I give no fucks about it. So, why would I be annoyed with the chick that despite the fact that she is beyond annoying, she is also kind of fitting. Not everybody can be Katniss.

However, none of the things that I did like were enough to carry the book. It just wasn't good enough. I want to be one of those people who can read something and not compare it to other books in the same genre, but I'm not. And I assume that a vast majority of other people are like that too. When you have a book that has SO many comparisons to a vastly popular series, be prepared to have it relentlessly compared to it. Fire & Flood just doesn't have enough to stand out against it.

Arc received from Scholastic Press via NetGalley for a fair and honest review.